Friday, 23 May 2014

The Next 4 Days

We spent the next two days doing nothing. Well I did nothing, Terry did a whole heap of work.

First we got up kinda late, then went down to the wharf for breakfast.

We had a yummylishous breaky too.

For me, pancakes with banana and maple syrup.

For Terry, scrambled eggs and sausages with homemade tomato relish.

While that was being demolished we watched the water, and the show being put on by the locals.

Shags or Cormorants, there is a difference apparently, but I cant tell. Actually I think these are cormorants, shags have a shaggy tuft of feathers on the top of their heads, giving them the name I guess.

Then we went for an explore of the town, did a bit of essential shopping, a new pair of swimmers for me as the only pair I have were last worn about 20 years ago. Yes it's been that long since I went to the beach. I was determined to take advantage of the beach here, til I heard about the sharks! Hmm.

We struck up a conversation with the lady who lives across the road from the cottage we were staying in, she told me about the little cove that had been made near the harbour, complete with shark proof net. That was it, while Terry worked, I went and sat on the beach and swam. It was awesome, the first time I have been in the ocean in such a long time, it felt foreign but luxurious all at the same time.

I also explored the bluff, and the view was amazing, sorry I meant to go back and take some pics but never got there. While we were exploring this tiny town, we noticed all the signs for the bike show that was on the next day. It's funny how there seems to be a bike show on in the town we are holidaying in, it happened in Broken Hill too.

So the next day, Terry had finished his work, we went to town for a breakfast and found the place as busy as a bee. Finally we found a seat and had an average breakfast. Then off to the show. The town was rumbling to the sounds of bikes, it must be strange for the locals to have their quiet little haven suddenly roaring with the idling of so many machines for one day of the year. Apparently this is about the 10th year that this show has been here, and they do seem to draw in plenty of people.

This is just the show end of the street, the rest of it was just as full of bikes.

All types of bikes. The show wasn't huge but there was a good variety there.

And a few trade stands to look at, one had this outside it, shiny!!

There was cute there too.

This Harley took my fancy, we chatted with the guy for a while, he has done a beautiful job to make it original.

A lot of the things have been custom made, like he said, he's spent a lot of money on it that he will never see again, but it's worth it.

Then there was the biggest tire prize, on a Boulevard.

I have plenty more pics of course, but that will do give you the idea of how we spent that morning. The afternoon was spent doing some more lazing round.

All too soon it was time to leave, I had to be back at work in just two days. Monday morning we headed back to the first cafe at the wharf for breakfast, parking the bikes just below our balcony this time.

I guess a lot of the riders who'd been here for the show the day before had stayed over night, and not long after we got there  ...

Roxy and Growl made some friends.

After breaky I wanted to take some pics of the bikes on the wharf.

Then we went back to the cottage and packed up for our return journey. This is where I got a bit lazy, I don't have any more pics of our trip at all. We headed back up those twisties over Brown's Mountain, I have some video but we were going into the sun and with the dirty windscreen, it's just not worth editing. You'll just have to take my word for it that I was a lot better the second time around, a bit of familiarity along with uphill bends made it a lot more enjoyable.

We stopped at a place called Cooma in the mountains for lunch, which was an interesting little town, where I swore I took a bunch of pics. Cant find any so I mustn't have. Our stop for the night was Canberra, where I only got us lost once, and only slightly. We had dinner that night with Terry's son and daughter in law, very nice!

The next day was the run home, it started out a bit overcast and wasn't long before we got caught in the downpour to end all downpours. And it didn't let up, after about 100km of freezing rain we finally came to Boorowa and got to stop. We rented a cheap room and had showers and coffee to warm up. Staying wasn't an option, I had to be at work at 7:30 the next morning.

Thankfully the rain eased while we were there and we managed to make a dry run for it to home. It was another 300km or so, a long run but we were home just on dusk, not a bad effort. I have to say as the landscape became flatter, with fields of canola and cows, I started to feel a sense of relief. It was good to be home.


  1. Brenda, although it's in the past I'm following your progress with baited breath.... Have you ever seen a film called "The Man Who Sued God" starring Billy Connolly? Many of the scenes were shot in Bermagui. Looking forward to your initial reaction to the Kawasaki. Nearly bought the Vulcan 900 myself but then I came across my VT750 which was an irresistible bargain.

    1. It was a long time ago Theo, and the problem with that is that a lot of my memories have faded so it's hard to remember exactly what happened. I do remember the improtant things but those relaxing days at Bermagui have just kind of faded, I guess I didn't do much exciting stuff but it was just what I needed.

      I've seen that film, knew it was Australia but not that it was Bermagui, might have to watch it again now.

      The kawasaki post are coming up soon, need to go for a ride to get some good pics this weekend, but the initial reactions are already there ... god I love this bike!!

      You must have been meant to get the Shadow .. I really believe things happen for a reason, and from the looks of it you are really enjoying it .. yay!!

  2. I like the pics of the bikes and boats. A nice combination.

    You sound like us, we don't seem to take as many pics on the way home either. For some reason we don't make as many stops, just want to get there. Glad the last bit was dry and it didn't rain the entire way.

    1. Thanks Brandy.

      Well we still stop, I'm big one for stops or I start to seize up or go to sleep. The stops are shorter though, even so i could have sworn that I took a heaps of pics at Cooma cause they had a cool model of the Great Divide made out of steel that was made in the 1920's or something that I would have shared, and mosaics of the world .. Oh I'll just have to go back now!

  3. Brendal:

    Pics of your SWIMMERS or it didn't happen ! There, I've said it.

    So glad you took time to relax and enjoy the sun and water. It's not pleasant to ride in heavy rain so don't blame you for stopping to get warmed up but you made it home safely so that's all that matters and for some reason it doesn't feel so bad now that you think back upon it.

    I don't know why some riders like those wide tires. It must be hard to control your bike on the corners

    It always feels good to be back home

    A weekend photographer or Riding the Wet Coast

    1. Haha Bob, now ya know that's never gonna happen, bad enough getting pic of me in my bike gear .. no one's ever gonna see my swimmers!!

      It isn't as bad now you're right, it was just getting home really, after a very relaxing holiday.

      I dont know if it is harder to control on corners, the new bike has a much wider rear tire than Roxy's was and I'm finding that my cornering is much better, not sure if it's the tire or the bike or just my experience.

      It does feel good to be home, but ... nearly time to start planning the next trip!

  4. Hi Brenda
    Not on did you have a nice ride and bit of a holiday but you also got to go to a bike show. Bonus!!!!
    I also have trouble taking photos on the last day of a ride, its like all the fun has gone out of it.

    1. Yeah I know, we've lucked out like that a couple of times now, it's like we're blessed!

      I did get some gopro fotage but as I said it was rubbish, so was the stuff I took today .. I think the snow might have done some damage, might be time to get a new updated model.